Friday, June 22, 2012

Lunch Date

Have I mentioned how much I love summer? I am a completely different person from June 1-August 1.
I love that I am able to meet friends for lunch and have people over.
I normally eat a quick lunch when I'm home alone and don't really think about it.
Today was different and I loved it!

My friend that I teach cooking camp with came over to finalize our plans and we made lunch.

Here was our menu:
Fruit salad
Corn and barley salad
Peach panini

I want it all again right now. I shouldn't have sent her home with the leftovers!

Fresh fruit; watermelon, grapes, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries.

Barley and corn salad

1 cup cooked barley
3 tbsp. olive oil
corn from 3 ears- I used fresh bicolor
3 scallions, sliced- about that....I lost my mind and bought shallots when it called for scallions, I think either one would be very tasty!
1 cup cherry tomatoes- I bought one tomato and cut it up because I don't love tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch arugula, chopped
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Juice of one lemon

1. Cook the barley as the label directs. Drain and rinse under cold water and transfer to a bowl with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to char. Add the tomatoes and scallions or shallots in my case and cook, stirring, until they just begin to wilt. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Stir the corn mixture into the barley. Add the arugula, lemon zest, and lemon juice and toss.
*Perfect for a summer cook out, can make ahead of time and serve cold or fresh and warm.

Bacon, peach, and arugula sandwiches

8 slices thick-cut bacon
1/4 cup basil
2 tablespoons olive oil
Parmesan cheese
Pine nuts
8 slices of thick bread
2 peaches
Arugula

{I did not follow this recipe completely because I don't eat mayonnaise, instead of making the pesto mayonnaise we just made homemade pesto. It also calls for toasted bread but we used my panini maker}

1. Cook the bacon in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain, then cut each slice in half.
2. While the bacon is cooking pulse the ingredients to make the pesto; basil, olive oil, pine nuts, and parmesan cheese.
3. Assemble- spread pesto on one side, then put peach slices, bacon slices, and arugula down. Top both sides of bread with butter and grill on!

*FYI- you won't eat just one. All three of us had more than one and to be honest I wouldn't have turned down thirds. Don't judge, you must try these.

It was a lovely summer lunch with a sweet friend and her baby boy.

My puppy boy had to get neutered yesterday. He made a bad name for himself at our local vet, it's a good thing he is precious or they might not let us ever come back!
I had to take him back this morning to get this lovely accessory.  Poor guy is being such a good sport!



No comments:

Post a Comment