Monday, April 16, 2012

New recipe!


Last weekend was my first weekend on my new clean eating plan.
Normally on the weekends I go out or cook a fun new meal but this weekend I had to be extra careful.
While I wanted to shop for cheez-its, pasta, chips, and ingredients to bake I had to resist and stick to the fresh foods.
I knew I wanted to make a treat this weekend that would follow my new eating plan.
I came across these Sweet Potato Muffins on Pinterest and knew I had to give them a go!
I'm SO glad I did. 
If you notice in the pictures below I ate a muffin fresh out of the oven before I could even snap a picture.
I have now eaten most some of them after they cooled and they are still delicious, in my opinion.
Trust me- I am really picky and do not like treats that taste like the Earth, these do not.  They taste like a real muffin. The only thing I added to the recipe was orange zest. I topped each muffin with some orange zest just before baking. So glad I did!


*The muffins do have whole wheat flour and a small amount of brown sugar.  I am trying to stay away from those two ingredients but I also realized that I am not trying to lose weight or starve myself.  I wanted to challenge myself to trying new things and use self-control. 

After baking the muffins I had a relaxing Sunday at home.
I worked on some school stuff, organized my craft room, and took a nap with these pups.

They are really starting to love each other, finally.


INGREDIENTS:
1½ cupsWhole Wheat Pastry Flour
½ cupBrown Sugar
¼ cupFinely Ground Flax Seed
1 TbspPumpkin Pie Spice
½ tspSalt
½ tspBaking Soda
2Beaten Eggs
1 cupCooked Sweet Potatoes (I cooked them the night before and left them in the fridge)
½ cupDried Cranberries
¼ cupNonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
¼ cupSkim Milk
¼ cupUnsweetened Applesauce
¼ cupUnsweetened Coconut
DIRECTIONS:

In a mixing bowl, mix first 6 ingredients. In another bowl combine eggs, sweet potatoes, cranberries, yogurt, milk, applesauce and coconut; add to dry and stir gently just until the mixture is combined. Spoon the batter into a muffin pan spread with nonstick spray or a nonstick muffin tin. Sprinkle with some additional unsweetened coconut on top of the muffins. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment