Saturday, April 14, 2012

A fresh start!

 I am one of those people that loves to eat.
I think about all three meals for the next day while I am laying in bed at night.
I love to cook big meals for people and plan a party around a food theme.
Lately I realized that I have been a bit out of control with my eating.
On Easter I decided to challenge myself to a new clean eating plan.
I set some goals for myself and am really excited about it!
Here is my plan:
1. No dessert for 30 days
2. Diet Coke only on Friday and Saturday until the end of the school year
3. No processed food for 30 days
4. No pasta for 30 days
5. Drinking a bottle of water before I drink any coffee (this is hard for me!)
6. I am keeping a food journal

Some of this is hard for me because I don't eat meat and I wish I could eat carbs at every meal. I am trying to be smart about the carbs that I do eat, making sure they are full of fiber and protein.

The husband and I try to eat really healthy. He doesn't eat any carbs or sugar.
I have been trying to cook some new meals for dinner that work with our eating plan.
This week I tried two new recipes for dinner.

Barley with brussel sprouts, onion, garlic, butternut squash, and pine nuts.
This was created because I wanted to use up the ingredients in my house!

It turned out pretty good! I did add a dash of soy sauce for some flavor.
I cooked the barley in half water and half stock to add some additional flavor.

Last night I made a salad with ingredients in my fridge.
Spinach, fresh pear, strawberries, gorgonzola cheese, hard boiled egg, dried cranberries, and pepita seeds.
It was so good!

I am now cooking some steel cut oats and getting ready to finish painting my porch furniture that I started last week.
I am also enjoying a latte made with coffee grounds that we got in Costa Rica, wish I was there now....

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment