Monday, February 27, 2012

Eye did it!

I admit, I have been thinking about that title for days....

This past Friday I had lasik eye surgery.
 I have worn glasses every day for the last many, many years.
My sweet husband gifted me lasik for Christmas this year.
I didn't want to know anything about the surgery before it happened, I just wanted to lay down and let it happen.

My husband went with me for the surgery, thank goodness.  It was A LOT of waiting around and eye drops until the big moment.  I do mean moment, it only took my Dr. seconds to fix each eye and I was out of the laser room in minutes!

The first thing that made me a wee bit nervous about the surgery was that the doctor put numbing drops in my eye and then took a sharpie looking tool and drew blue dots on my eye balls!  I had to go to the bathroom to check out the dots, they were there and stayed on through all the eye drops they gave me before the surgery.
The next thing that was a bit alarming was the weepy eyed boy who had just had his surgery and kept saying "it's so bright in here..." over and over again and holding his head down.  My husband had to calm me down and reassure me that I would do great.
The last thing I had to do before the surgery was put on a lovely hair cover, get a green dot placed on my forehead so they knew what kind of surgery to perform ,and put on these medical things over my shoes.


Once I went into the laser room I grabbed my husbands hand and kept repeating "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I also repeated this over and over again when I had a 6am college class and to pass the final I had to run a mile, my how things have changed in my life....

Anyway, I was repeating this because even though it was a short surgery it was bizarre.  The metal eye retractor was less than comfortable and I had the kind of surgery where the doctor cuts the flap with a blade.  Long story short I could see the flap being cut and lifted and the laser part was completely painless but strange because I could smell the laster. Then the flap was put down and onto the next eye.

I spent the weekend at home with sunglasses on inside and hanging out with these sweet boys.


The other part of my recovery was spent eating, or should I say indulging? 

On the way home all I wanted was a cinnabon and luckily my mom ran out and got me one.  Once I woke up from napping after the surgery it totally hit the spot.

My sweet friend Kristen went to Flip Burger and brought me back a Captain Crunch milkshake....

The husband and I love Egg Harbour Cafe and he went and picked up my new favorite brunch item, get this....sweet potato tots, caramelized onion, bacon, white cheddar cheese, and eggs.  I may or may not have eaten this twice in the last week.

I can't exercise, wear make-up, or touch my eyes for a full week but I can see clearly. It is AMAZING. 
I can't tell you how many times I have pushed up my non-existent glasses in the past 4 days. 
I think it will take a while to get used to this!







2 comments:

  1. Yay! That title made me laugh and I can just see the smile on your face while typing it! So glad you can see now! No more fogged up glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite envious. Go you! Gives me hope for having lasik myself in the future.

    ReplyDelete