Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Superfoods

 Eating healthy is not so easy.  Especially when all you want to eat is pasta and chips.
My husband and I try to eat really well which is a challenge in our house because I don't eat meat and my husband doesn't eat carbs, tricky business.....

Tonight I tried a new dinner with barley and brussel sprouts.
I had never cooked barley before and was a little nervous about how it would taste.

Here are the ingredients:
1/3 cup toasted pecans

1 pound of brussel sprouts with olive oil and salt

1/4 cup fresh cranberries

1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
(next time I wouldn't put that much)

1 cup of barley

This stuff was great because it is a little over $1 a box and cooks in 10 minutes!

1 tablespoon maple syrup and balsamic

I roasted the brussel sprouts for about 30 minutes on 350 before adding in the cranberries

Cooked barley.  The texture of this grain is so yummy- kind of like oatmeal and risotto.

Once the brussel sprouts were mostly cooked I turned on the broiler and added in the cranberries.
This was the fun part- I sat on the floor with my puppies watching the cranberries broil and they were popping one by one!  I kept making noises each time they would pop open, good thing no one else was around...

It was a very earthy and healthy meal that I will definitely make again.

For those of you that freak out at the sight of brussel sprouts I encourage you try them again.
They are my favorite veggie right now.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious. I'm going to have to make it too! :)

    ReplyDelete