Friday, January 13, 2012

Starting over....

I am a bit of a New Year's grinch. The holiday does not excite me, to be honest I dread the evening.  I am not really one to create New Year's resolutions but I do love to set goals for myself.  
This year I have a few big goals for myself:
1. Cook and bake a lot more- try new things each week!
2. Run a half marathon
3. Create an etsy store
4. Save up to buy a monogram machine and start a small business

I am hesitant to type out those words because I am afraid that they might not happen this year and then it would be out there and not accomplished.  Well, I know I can do #1, see below- it has already begun....

[2] I love to run- it is not easy for me but it makes me feel amazing, it takes away my stress, and it challenges me. I think I am planning to run a half marathon with some girls from work at the end of April, I really hope I make it happen.

[3] The etsy goal is a big one!  I have been putting this off for a while, I really want to accomplish this goal over the summer. If anyone has any tips I would love to hear them!

[4] Number four is so exciting to me- I have always loved monograms.  I would monogram my curtains if I could!  This purchase would be a huge one for me!  It may take me years to save up but it is on my list this year.

Back to the baking- I love to cook for other people.  I am a picky eater and don't eat meat so my meals are pretty much the same each week.  
This week my husband and I had two great friends staying with us and they took some time out of the studio to have dinner at our house.  I love the planning and organizing part of cooking. 
 Thanks to pinterest I had tons of ideas!

I decided to go with a gourmet pizza night and a duo of brownies.
They all turned out great and the night was full lovely conversations and laughter.  
Unfortunately, I didn't manage to take any pictures of the people at dinner!

Oreo brownies- put down half of the batter and then add a layer of oreos. 
Leave them whole and they stay hard and on the outside and soft in the middle-perfection.

Then cover with the other half of the batter and bake!
(I don't really even enjoy oreos but these were my favorite by far)

The other kind were called "better than crack brownies"
They were a bottom layer of brownies, layer of crushed peanuts & crushed Reese's peanut butter cups, then a top layer of melted chocolate chips, butter, peanut butter, and rice crispy cereal.

I had to take the extra brownies to school today- each year I realize that my self control for food gets worse and worse....

The yummy pizza ingredients in the works:
Roasted garlic with olive oil and Italian herbs.


Sauteed pears

Caramelized onions

Am I the only one that has problems with getting the pizza dough to stretch out?
I sure hope not- for now this is how I make it work!

Sage and thyme


Roasted butternut squash


Blake made this yummy app- edamame with parmesan cheese, garlic, and bread crumbs.




Butternut squash pizza with gruyere cheese, parmesan, thyme, and crispy sage leaves.

Blue cheese pizza with sauteed pears, caramelized onions, arugula, and pecans.

*My favorite of the night
Pesto pizza with mozzarella cheese and red potatoes.

The worst part of my New Year's Goals is that two of them conflict.  The cooking/baking is not so good for my running goals.  I am a little out of control with the baking- as I type I can smell my triple berry cobbler bars in the oven. 

Happy goal making!
Good luck!!



1 comment: