Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Splash!

I am so excited to finally be sharing this!  This project started many months ago.....

I tend to think about Christmas shopping, wrapping, decorating, and so on around June.  I like to have all of my shopping done before Thanksgiving, which of course does not always happen and I am always running around like crazy the week before, but....I have goals.

Anyway- this year I knew that I wanted to make my mother in law a quilt.
She has a beautiful "beach box" as we call it and I wanted to make something that would stay down there.
Here are some pics from start to finish!

Picking out the fabrics and matching them up was probably my favorite part of the whole process.

If you are into applique stock up on this stuff, I went through a ton!

I made patterns of the two bathing suites on thick clear stuff (for lack of a better word).

I traced the patterns on the steam a seam paper so that it would attach to the fabric and make it easier to applique on my machine without it moving around.

They are all cut out and placed in order!

One of the border fabrics.

The next step was to machine applique all of them and then start to sew on the thin green borders.

The tiny borders were not so easy, a lot of cutting and trimming.

Next was the bigger blue border, I picked it because the pattern reminded me of water bubbles!

FINISHED!

You can't see it really well but I took the quilt to the quilting lady and she added a beach theme all over the quilt, I love how it turned out!

I made a label on the back with the name of the quilt.

The binding fabric is stripes and I backed it in the same small green border on the front.

Back of the quilt and you can see the quilting better.

I made a mini bathing suit for the label on the back.

It was so much fun to make (most of the time) and I loved that I could make something special for my MIL!

4 comments:

  1. You're so talented! Thinking about all the patience you have to have to create a quilt overwhelms me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the incredibly grateful MIL, just seeing the details of the time and effort this took makes it even more precious to me!! What an amazing gift!
    Thank you! I can't wait to take it to the "beach box."
    You are a gifted lady and a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is totally amazing! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome, Amy! What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete