Saturday, March 3, 2012

Napoleons

Yum. This dessert is so simple but so delicious.
Well...it should be simple if you can follow directions and don't have tornado warnings going on while you are trying to bake.

Last night my best friend spent the night and we had planned a fun girls night with Qdoba, dessert, and Sex and the City.

Once we got out of our "cheese comas" from our burritos we decided to put the dessert together.  Well....I went to put the puff pastry in the oven and realized I had phyllo dough, ugh. So- we hopped in the car and braved the storm to go to Publix (nothing was going to get in my way of dessert).
As soon as we got back home the news was telling us to take cover and that the tornado was going to hit my area in 6 minutes. So, we each grabbed a dog and a blanket and cleared out the pantry so we could take cover! 
It turned out that the storm missed us and we could continue with the napoleon making, thank goodness.

It is now 9am the next day and just looking at these pictures makes me want to go put another one together.

We may or may not have polished off the entire dessert on our own.
Don't judge.

Ingredients:
1/2 of a package of Puff Pastry sheets.
1 pkg. vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix 
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tsp. milk
1 1/2 cups fresh berries (I used strawberries and raspberries)

Directions:
1. Heat the oven to 400.
2. Cut the pastry sheet into 3 strips along the fold marks. Place them on a baking sheet.
3. Bake for 15 minutes (mine only took 10) or until golden brown. Let them cool and then split the pastries into 2 layers, making 6 in all.
4. Prepare the pudding mix according to the package. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Fold in the whipped cream.
To make icing, stir the confectioners' sugar and 2 teaspoons milk in a small bowl.
 *This recipe makes 2 napoleons, I only made one.
5. Put your napoleon together! Layer the puff pastry, pudding mix, and fresh berries. Layer again and then put the icing on the top layer.
**There are so many ways you could change this up: use chocolate pudding instead of vanilla, use peaches and stir in peach shnapps, sprinkle cinnamon in the pudding, use bananas and caramel.  

Enjoy! I think next time I will make two of them so I can have leftovers....or a whole napoleon to myself, it's that good.  Trust me.

Now I am off to wake up the sleeping best friend so we can have some brunch and shop!



1 comment:

  1. Those look really, really good. I just so happen to have puff pastry in my freezer, too. And the fruit stand by my house has strawberries for $8 a flat. Yep, think I'm going to have to try these.

    ReplyDelete