Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

I hope everyone had a wonderful Labor Day Weekend! It was so nice to leave work Friday afternoon knowing I would have an extra day to sleep in.

I spent the weekend at my parents lake house in Hartwell. I left Friday after dinner to avoid traffic but ended up sitting in park on 85N for two hours because of a terrible car accident ahead of me. I had the dog with me and had to let him out on the side of the road, not the ideal situation. 

I didn't get to the lake house till late Friday night so I went to bed and woke up to these amazing homemade orange cinnamon rolls.
(Weekends at the lake are all about trying new recipes and ignoring nutrition facts)



Poncho is always in the kitchen waiting for something to drop!




Poncho loves the lake, he spends a ton of time outside and always sleeps on this pillow.

Saturday night we tried a new dessert from the Pioneer Woman cookbook. 

About to bake the peach crisp with maple cream sauce

*I loved the helpful hint in her cookbook. 


It was beyond amazing.  I will be making this again very soon.

Corn hole is the favorite game at the lake.

My brother created the design of the catfish.




We had a lot of family up on Saturday!






One of my students brought me some eggs from her chickens on Friday.  I took them up to the lake for breakfasts! Some of the eggs were blue-it was so fun to have fresh eggs.

We also tried making homemade herb biscuits.

We brushed the dough with butter and sprinkled dried chives, thyme, parsley, and salt/pepper.


We rolled the dough up jelly roll style and pinched the ends to close.

We cut them into 12 pieces and put them in muffin pans to bake.




We let them rise...


Sprinkled them with parmesan cheese before going in the oven...

They were so light and full of flavor.  Next time I would add garlic.

We had pasta with tomatoes, spinach, pine nuts, and onion.



Grilled pork.

Cherry pie!


Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Did you make your own dough? I want to try those, they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete