Monday, January 7, 2013

New plan!

Look at me go, three posts in three days. 
Don't hold your breath.
Something is off today- I actually came home from work and didn't take a nap. I hopped straight on the treadmill. 

I'm sure I have said it before but the husband and I eat very different meals.
He tries not to eat carbs and sugar, all meet and vegetables.
I don't eat any meat and try to only eat whole grains and vegetables but have a serious love for pasta, white potatoes, white rice, and sweets.
SO....to make things work we usually conquer and divide.
I will make the sides which are vegetables and he cooks his own meat (thank God)- the thought of chicken on my counter sends me into cardiac arrest.

At the end of my two week vacation I needed to start thinking about meals and groceries again. The husband and I may or may not have eaten out every meal the past couple days....thank you Waffle House and Egg Harbour.
I have been in the bad habit of stopping at the grocery store multiple times during the week and then wasting food and throwing it away. 
I have decided that I am going to be more diligent in my meal planning and try to eat leftovers and use up all ingredients throughout the week.
My goal is that we will eat well, healthy, and save some money. Although not if I keep picking up magazines in the check out aisle, they just look so interesting!

Here it goes: 
I found a free menu printable from Pinterest and planned my meals on Sunday.
I decided to start with just planning Sunday-Friday, too overwhelming to plan all 7. 
Plus I love to go out to eat with the husband.
Sunday- Wisconsin cauliflower soup
Monday- Butternut squash salad
Tuesday- Shaved brussel sprouts with shallots and apple, and sweet potatoes with rosemary, garlic, and walnuts
Wednesday- Spaghetti squash
Thursday- Cinnamon apple steel cut oats, eggs, fresh fruit, and whole wheat sweet potato muffins.

Sunday was my first time making soup, ever. 
I am a very finicky soup eater. Don't like anything with beans, tomatoes, peppers.

This soup had onion, water, chicken stock, skim milk, cauliflower, and cheese.
I added some broccoli that I had left over.

 I was pretty excited to use my hand blender.

While the soup was cooking I roasted some cauliflower and broccoli in the oven to put on top of the soup.

 I topped the soup with the roasted veggies, delicious crackers, and some colby jack cheese.

These crackers are a must! They are full of flavor and are made from whole wheat and have no sugar!
They were perfect crumbled on top of the piping hot cauliflower soup.

The husband also approved of the soup.
His exact text read 'umm it was the bomb diggity.'


No comments:

Post a Comment