Saturday, October 29, 2011

Birds, dogs, and kids galore!

I know I say it every time but things are crazy at school!  I hate that when I finally have a chance to sit down and update the blog I am posting things from over a week ago, I need to work on that! I don't know how these woman post something adorable and crafty every day!

We have been studying animals in science for the past couple weeks.  This last week we made birds and a nest and wrote about them.  I love how they turned out!
 The first step was for the kids to paint one side solid brown.

 Then they glued various materials to the paper plate to make it look like a nest.

(FYI- you will have nest materials all over your classroom for days...)

The last step was to glue pom poms to popsicle sticks and add googly eyes and paper beaks.


Each student wrote various facts about  birds and we attached the nest to the top of the paper and put them out in the hall!




 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Every year our school has a book parade, it is one of my favorite days of the school year.
This year our class chose the book Name That Dog! It is a precious book that has dogs from A to Z and they each have a poem about them. We have been studying poetry in reading so it was ideal. Each class dresses up as the characters in the book and creates a poster. 
I cut out the letters on my cricut and then passed it on to a sweet mom who created the rest of the poster for us.



 Since the book cover is framed pictures of dogs we picked up some $1 store frames and printed pictures of the dogs in our class!  Poncho was featured twice :)

 I thought this was adorable- his mom made a little dog house with a dog bone for him to carry in the parade, so creative!


 The kids were extremely excited!  It was a real challenge to get all 21 of them to pose for a picture. 




The beginning of the parade...









Here are some pictures from the previous book parades:




Last year we read the serious of chapter books about Clementine.  
It is a wonderful book to read to your class.


 He was asparagus!




My first year we did a Magic School Bus book and we had the best poster! Too bad I can't find those pictures.

I can't get enough of children's books. I might get more excited than my second graders do about the book parade.


























No comments:

Post a Comment