Monday, September 16, 2013

The Reveal!

I have this lovely habit of seeing a picture of something on Pinterest and then e-mailing it to my dad immediately expecting him to be able to help me do it in a weekend and for under $100.
 
I came across a picture of a laundry room makeover that was done for like $75.
That is how this project started off....if only it had stayed that way.
 
First I wanted to add a cabinet in the laundry room for storage. I wanted to get rid of the hideous builder shelving. I was going to paint the cabinet a fun color and maybe paint the walls to make it more exciting. A great plan until I discovered the wallpaper section on Anthropologie's website.
TROUBLE
Now, I don't know about you guys but I don't normally splurge on something that my wall wears. Once I saw this print I knew I had to find a way to make it live in my house.
Luckily my sweet and supportive husband ordered it for me one day after a little bit of persuading that I neeeeeeeeeeeeded it.
 
 
This pretty paper comes with a hefty price tag of $148 a roll, yes you are reading it correctly. I did have a 15% off coupon and free shipping if that makes it any better.
Luckily my mom's cousin knows how to install wallpaper so he came over and put it up for me. But...at that price I could only afford one roll and that was not going to cover one entire wall. So....my handy dad had some extra bead board lying around and we made it work.
 
Of course I forgot to take a before picture. You get the idea, a washer and dryer live here.
 

Dad took the shelf down and patched up all the holes.

The exciting part! The wallpaper is up- decided to do more than one wall so it would make more of a statement. Dad put the bead board up and added trim at the top and sides.

I came in and painted the trim and bead board with normal white trim paint.
 


 
Dad and I found this amazing unfinished cabinet on clearance at Home Depot (of course I forgot to take a picture of the before). I ended up painting it blue and crème. I then went back and sanded some areas, waxed it with a clear wax and a light brown wax to give it some detail.
 

Cabinet is up!
 
I really wanted the shelves to be unique. I imagined some kind of distressed old barn wood, apparently that is harder to find than I thought.
Plan B was to stain my own wood shelves. My dad cut the wood and I used a dark brown stain. I put on two coats and then wiped off the extra.

I had never stained before, it was so fun and easy!

Final color, I love how you can still see the grain of the wood but it has some dark color to it.
 
Shelves are in and hung up with these beautiful turquoise brackets from Anthro.


I ended up finding the baskets at Dillards of all places! Love, love, love them. They are rustic metal and have burlap liners.

I even found little matching baskets to go inside.
 


Also got the knobs from Anthro.

 
The finished room! I am so excited! It might be the cutest room in the entire house. Laundry has never been so glamorous.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 

2 comments: